Monday, September 24, 2012

Why You Should Hire Me (or at least give me an interview)


As I’ve navigated my way through unemployment and looking for a new job, the most frustrating thing is applying for jobs online. At first, I didn’t realize that lots of companies have computer programs that scan uploaded resumes for keywords. I just assumed that a human would actually take at least a cursory look. But even if a human is looking at the uploaded resume, online applications are still an extremely anonymous, lonely business.

But even if you are able to send your resume to a human, or if you’re lucky enough to know someone who knows someone, that piece of paper can’t tell it all. Fortunately for me, I have this blog forum that at least nine people read, so I can tell them all of the things that my resume can’t say. I've never been much for tooting my own horn, but one thing this little forced vacation has taught me is that no one is going to be a better champion for me than me.

Here are some reasons why a potential employer should hire me:

  1. I’m a really hard worker. I’ll do whatever needs to be done - and once I finish my work, I’m happy to help someone else. And I’ll stay as long as necessary to get it all done.
  2. I’m smart. I can figure out solutions to problems and I don’t usually need things to be explained more than once. But I’m not scared to ask questions if I need more information.
  3. I have a great attitude. I’m the least moody person you’ll ever work with and it takes a whole lot to make me mad.
  4. I get along with everyone regardless of their position. I believe that the maintenance man deserves as much respect as the CEO.
  5. I’m an awesome team player. I get my work done, but I also make myself available when I can to help the other people on the team because I understand that the team’s success is what makes us all look good.
  6. I’m a good writer. I can get my thoughts across succinctly. I’ve written creative briefs, advertising copy, website copy and even a book (plus a blog of course).
  7. I’m a great presenter. Almost every job I’ve had has required me to do presentations in front of all sorts of audiences, from co-workers and clients to larger groups of stakeholders. I don’t get nervous.
  8. I’m well rounded and mature. I have a good life – a great family, lots of good friends and I’m very active at my church. These things make me a better employee and co-worker.
Maybe one of my nine readers knows someone who knows someone, and can send them a link to this post. I'd love to be working again!

2 comments:

  1. you are awesome! i nodded my head in agreement as i read each point ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you looking to do? How about remote work or telecommuting?

    ReplyDelete